Podcast for Saturday, September 17
By Chuck Mertz in Shows with 3 comments Tags: 911, Contractors, Danielle Brian, David Skalinder, Imperialism, Jeff Dorchen, Kevan Harris, Mark Danner, Occupy Wallstreet, Paul Harris
Your bitter blind broke gap-tooothed radio show host Chuck Mertz interviewed:
- Paul Harris is the US correspondent of British papers the Guardian and The Observer, the world’s oldest Sunday newspaper. Prior to his work at the Guardian and Observer, Paul reported from Africa for the Daily Telegraph, The Associated Press and Reuters. He has been a front line reporter of conflicts in Iraq, Sudam, Burundi, Somalia, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Pakistan. In 2003, he was embedded with British forces during the invasion of Iraq. Paul is the author of “The Secret Keeper,” a thriller set in Africa. Paul will be releasing a new novel in June 2012 entitled, “The Candidate.” His most recent writing includes, “The decline and fall of the American middle class.”
- John Mearsheimer is the R. Wendell Harrison Distinguished Service Professor of Political Science and the co-director of the Program on International Security policy at the University of Chicago. His most recent book is, “Why Leaders Lie: The Truth About Lying in Politics” (Oxford University Press). He is also He is on the Advisory Council of The National Interest. His most recent writing there is, “Imperial By Design.”
- writer and journalist Mark Danner is Chancellor’s Professor of Journalism and Politics at the University of California at Berkeley, and the James Clarke Chace Professor of Foreign Affairs, Politics, and Humanities at Bard College. Mark has written for more than two decades on foreign affairs and international conflict. He has covered Central America, Haiti, Balkans and Iraq, among many other stories, He has written extensively about the development of American foreign policy during the late Cold War and afterward, and about violations of human rights during that time. His most recent book is, “Stripping Bare the Body: Politics Violence War.” Formerly a staff writer at The New Yorker, he is now a regular contributor to The New York Review of Books. This week, he posted the article, “After September 11: Our State of Exception.” We’ll be speaking with Mark live from Ramallah.
- Danielle Brian is the Executive Director of the Project On Government Oversight, a nonprofit government watchdog organization. Danielle frequently testifies before Congress and regularly appears on or is quoted in major national media. Under Under her direction POGO has conducted numerous investigations that have led to major public policy reforms including, cutting wasteful spending, expanding oil and gas industry fraud on public lands, increasing nuclear security, and fighting excessive government secrecy. Danilee returns to This is Hell! to discuss POGO’s new report, “Bad Business: Billions of Taxpayer Dollars Wasted on Hiring Contractors.”
Our irregular corespondents were:
- Kevan ‘The Radical Pessimist’ Harris
- David ‘The Cynical Optimist’ Skalinder
- Jeff Dorchen delivered a Moment of Truth.