2 years ago
Podcast for Saturday, March 28, 2009 Shows
- journalist Robert Parry, whose work can be found at ConsortiumNews.com, returned to This is Hell! In 1984, Bob won the prestigious Polk Award for National Reporting by breaking many of the Iran-Contra stories for Newsweek and The Associated Press. His recent columns include, “Lost History Hurts Obama’s Iran Bid” and “WPost Elitists Feel for Wall St. Brethren.”
- Mark Weisbrot is co-director with past This is Hell! guest Dean Baker at the Center for Economic and Policy Research .
Mark’s recent writing on the economy includes, “The G20 should end rich-country rule,” “Challenging economic dogma” and “Health Care Reform Is Needed Now More than Ever.”
- Randy Shaw is the director of San Francisco’s Tenderloin Housing Clinic and the editor of the daily online newspaper BeyondChron. Randy’s new book is, “Beyond the Fields: Cesar Chavez, the UFW, and the Struggle for Justice in the 21st Century.” (University of California Press)
- Pepe Escobar writes the column, “The Roving Eye,” for The Asia Times. Based in Sao Paulo, Brazil, Pepe is also an analyst and correspondent for The Real News Network. His recent writing includes the article, “Liquid War: Postcard from Pipelineistan,” which draws from his new book, “Obama does Globalistan.” Wikipedia points us to Pepe’s “prescient article,” “Get Osama! Now! Or else … ,” published on August 30, 2001, twelve days prior to 9-11.
- Christy Thornton is the executive director of the National Congress on Latin America. Christy is a media and global justice activist who has done field work in Cuba and El Salvador. She holds a master’s degree in International Affairs from Columbia University focusing on international institutions, US foreign and economic policy, and development theory. She is a member of the NYC Grassroots Media Coalition, the May First/People Link leadership committee, and the Brooklyn for Peace Latin America committee. The NCLA report, “The 2009 El Salvador Elections: Between Crisis and Change,” came out just prior to this month’s elections.
Irregular correspondent Jeff Dorchen delivered a Moment of Truth live from WNUR’s studios. Dr. Krys Bigosinski MD gave us his latest report on healthcare.