Podcast for October 22
This is Hell! broadcast a live, completely unedited and uninterrupted four hour radio show, Saturday, October 22nd, on Chicago’s Sound Experiment, WNUR 89.3 FM, streaming and podcast here.
Your bitter blind broke gap-toothed radio show host Chuck Mertz interviewed:
- Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter Chris Hedges is a weekly columnist at Truthdig and a senior fellow at The Nation Institute. Chris’s 2002 book “War Is a Force That Gives Us Meaning” (Random House) was a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Award for Nonfiction. His new book is entitled, “The World As It Is: Dispatches on the Myth of Human Progress” (Nation Books).
Watch this amazing video of Chris last Saturday night at #OccupyWallStreet.
- Dr. Stefano Battiston is the Chair of Systems Design at ETH Zurich who examined transnational companies and found that 147 interconnected corporations control 40% of the world’s wealth. The report, “The network of global corporate control,” can be read here and an easier to read blog post can be read here.
- journalist Mark Engler is a senior analyst with Foreign Policy In Focus. Mark is author of “How to Rule the World: The Coming Battle Over the Global Economy (Nation Books),” which was selected by the Drum Major Institute as one of the “most interesting and informative progressive books” of 2008. Mark is also a monthly columnist for the Oxford, UK-based New Internationalist magazine. He serves on the editorial board of Dissent and writes a weekly post for the magazine’s “Arguing the World” blog. His most recent writing includes, “The Future of the #Occupy Movement: Solidarity and Escalation.”
Our irregular correspondents were:
- ‘Our Man in Budapest’ Todd Williams reported live from Hungary …
- former producer Trevor Ewen, in from New York City, gave us his inaugural segment as an irregular correspondent …
- Michael Roper of Chicago’s Hopleaf, 5148 North Clark Street, talked beer live in-studio …
- live from Los Angeles, Jeff Dorchen delivered a Moment of Truth.