2 years ago
Podcast for February 20, 2010 Shows
Our guests were:
- Henry Giroux is one of the founding theorists of critical pedagogy in the United States. He is best known for his pioneering work in public pedagogy, cultural studies, youth studies, higher education, media studies, and critical theory. He is the Global TV Network Chair in English and Cultural Studies at Hamilton, Ontario’s McMaster University. His most recent book is, “Youth in a Suspect Society: Democracy or Disposability?” (MacMillan).
- Andrew Bacevich is a professor of history and international relations at Boston University. He retired from the US Army with the rank of colonel. Andrew is the author of, “The Limits of Power: The End of American Exceptionalism” (Metropolitan Books).
- investigative journalist Greg Palast is the author of the New York Times bestsellers “The Best Democracy Money Can Buy” and “Armed Madhouse.” Greg's recently released DVD is called, “Palast Investigates: From 8-Mile to the Amazon.” The DVD focuses on the trail of the financial marauders. The DVD is a compilation three Palast reports on BBC Newsnight, none of which have been broadcast on American television.
All of Greg's books and videos can be purchased through h
is web site. Just click above on his name.
- Kathy Kelly is the author of “Other Lands Have Dreams: From Baghdad to Pekin Prison” (AK Press). Kathy co-coordinates Voices for Creative Nonviolence which works to end US military and economic warfare. From 1996 to 2003, Kathy, as co-founder of Voices in the Wilderness, helped form 70 delegations that openly defied economic sanctions by bringing medicines to Iraqi children and families. Kathy and her companions lived in Baghdad throughout the 2003 “Shock and Awe” bombing. More recently, she has visited Gaza and Pakistan, writing eyewitness accounts of war's impact on civilians.
- live from Vancouver, Chris Shaw, author of “Five Ring Circus: Myths and Realities of the Olympic Games” (New Society Publishers). Chris is a professor at the University of British Columbia and is a founding member and leading spokesperson for the No Games 2010 Coalition and 2010 Watch.
Activist Danny Muller gave us a 'Wasted Energy Report' on politics & comic strips live from Portland, Maine; and from Los Angeles, Jeff Dorchen delivered a Moment of Truth.